Forums

Age 55 changes

Open Archived Bolle opened this discussion on

Bolle -

Dear Orkfians,

Below you can find the changes for age 55. The race changes will no doubt be the most controversial, especially for those who are currently playing either Undead or Dwarf. Please discuss potential compensations or measures in Game Talk

Races

Undead

Off Zombie 8/0 900 cr
Def Mummy 0/8 950 cr
Elite Vampire 6/7 1050 cr
Thief Imp 0/0 250 cr

Cannot explore
Burns 25% of the target's maximum mana and thievery points on attack.
Vampiricism: vampires need blood, and so their ranks are naturally boosted by (current vampires * 0.001) vampires each month.
Double citz killed on raid.
Cannot use basics.
(Can now cast basic selfspells)
(No longer 3 hour attack time)
(No longer immortal vampires)
(No longer when attacking 25% of the slain army will join your military as Vampires)
(No longer citizens slain on raids join your population)

Dwarf

Trait removed: Constructing buildings costs 50% more crowns, but no wood is required.

Units changed:

Hammer Smasher 7/0 1050 cr → 1150 cr
Stone Thrower 0/7 1,150 cr → Stone Thrower 0/6 1100 cr
Grey Beard 8/3 1,300 cr → Grey Beard 8/4 1,400 cr

Operations

Tunneling now costs 50% more tp.

Fame

Hwighton Raid fame gains are halved.
LB now gains 3*(your size*0.0015) fame. The size modifier applies (smaller size/larger size).
Enforced Honesty now gains 3*(your size*0.0015) fame. The size modifier applies (smaller size/larger size).

Bastions

1% bastions now reduces damage by 2%*
*This does not reduce minimum damage. Consequently, bastions are useless for <2k tribes, but are a good option for big (attacker) tribes.

Pillage

Old: Destroys 0.5% in land of Farms as well as 2.67% in land of Laboratories, Mines, and Yards.
New:

Destroys ((Laboratories*0.05)+(land*0.01335)) Laboratories.
Destroys ((Mines*0.05)+(land*0.01335)) Mines.
Destroys ((Yards*0.05)+(land*0.01335)) Yards.
Destroys ((Farms*0.01)+(land*0.005)) Farms.

Power

Dying of age no longer gives any power.

Power and Hostility gained is now shown in-game.

Sneak peek

We'd like your thoughts on the following ideas, which are not yet implemented:

Your tribe requires wood to burn to keep themselves warm. Based on citizens. Relevant races will have to receive reductions to this and food's requirement to keep them competitive.

Lower military costs but higher construction costs in order to improve growth while making the economy and a good building strategy more important, not just for surviving a war but also in terms of economy. For example, military costs could be reduced with 20% while construction costs are doubled or even tripled.

General fun traits for races (and which races need them?)

Pollito -

Really? keep the tribe warm? lol

Bolle -

AgmAr's responsible for that one, he can convince you in a heated argument (ha ha)

Pollito -

It is going to take more than cookies to convince me [;)]

Halc -

good to see tunneling nerfed[up]

TR still takes 2% with the old costs.. just saying [:p]

Pollito -

CosT is not old

CBeast -

Power and Hostility gained is now shown in-game. [up][up]

Your tribe requires wood to burn to keep themselves warm. Based on citizens. Relevant races will have to receive reductions to this and food's requirement to keep them competitive

So...we're making wood the same as food essentially I don't really see the point of adding another resources you need to have on hand all the time

Halc -

agree with CBeast, don't see the point of having another consumable resource - only thing it adds to the game is annoyance

it also adds another 5-10% of land that is tied up in resource buildings which will slow the game down

hardar -

If wood is now a necessary consumable resource there need to be a spell/op to burn it.

Bolle -

sneak peek means it's not gonna be in age 55.

mazja -

Don't need wood to burn for heat!

Citz have sex to keep warm

Or they have a trillion blankets

Or they live in the tropics

Or the increased cost of buildings mean they have the best insulation money can buy

xiannic -

I only see the point in having more resource types if there is rarity associated with them. Look at any resource management game and you have to decide whether to go for one resource of another and balance that against other things (like defending yourself, or hurting other players). That opens itself up to a trade element, down the line, but the current model of x = y (ie if you have x mines you ALWAYS get y cr) basically means it's exceedingly easy to plan you exact resource requirements and you would never have any need to trade.

Therfore i'm not really sure what adding a constant loss of wood actually serves in terms of overall game mechanic other than forcing people to run a slightly higher % than currently increasing the number of “fixed” buildings.

Dark Cloud -

well put xiannic

AgmAr -

Quote: Pollito
It is going to take more than cookies to convince me [;)]

*throws Pollito some funny feet icecream*

Quote: CBeast
So...we're making wood the same as food essentially I don't really see the point of adding another resources you need to have on hand all the time

Wood is already a resource, it's just not used for anything else than building. Requiring it on hand adds the dynamic of others having the ability to destroy/take it.

Quote: Halc
it also adds another 5-10% of land that is tied up in resource buildings which will slow the game down

Negative, as it will be balanced with Food to require the same % of buildings. For example 7% farms might turn into 2% yards and 5% farms after rebalance.

Quote: hardar
If wood is now a necessary consumable resource there need to be a spell/op to burn it.

Also part of the plan. I imagined an op called Bonfire..

Quote: Mazja
Don't need wood to burn for heat!

Only used to explain the requirement in a funny way, not the real reason.

Quote: xiannic
Therfore i'm not really sure what adding a constant loss of wood actually serves in terms of overall game mechanic other than forcing people to run a slightly higher % than currently increasing the number of “fixed” buildings.

Can be explained in the following ways.

1) Opening up the road to a new attack type which can snag a large sum of resources the other person has, and use them for personal gain. (Raid is only about crowns, Pillage is based on destruction of buildings)

2) Can (and shall) be used in traits to balance races further, for instance Spirits not requiring it, Wood Elf gaining double per yard (they live in a forest, duh!)

3) Gain another way to potentially kill an enemy tribe; I'd like to see the destruction of Food and Wood have an (bigger) impact on the citizens of a tribe.

mazja -

Why wouldn't spirits require wood? Or did i misunderstand what you just said?

xiannic -

Spirits can't freeze as they are ghosts.

CBeast -

I think he means it would nerf spirits a bit since they don't need to run farms, but would now need to run food.

I suppose it could add an interesting additional way to kill and damage tribes. I'm just not convinced that this is the best way to do it. I don't see how it will make the game better overall to have two consumable resources instead of one...

AgmAr -

I think he means it would nerf spirits a bit since they don't need to run farms, but would now need to run food.

Currently the Spirits have a trait requiring no food-per-tick. Assuming the wood-per-tick introducting, every race (including spirits) would require a few % yards, which creates an unbalance.

As yards take over from farms to balance it out (as we don't want to take up more space), you could assume Spirit to gain a trait for not requiring wood-per-tick either.

Simple math; Assuming 7% profit of acres since it's default farms and not required on Spirits. Introducing wood-per-tick and balance with food, could make that only 5% profit of acres, as the other 2% would be used by yards.
As those 2% of acres are taken away from farms, and now have to be used to survive, you are basically nerfing Spirit. So to keep them as-is, you'd have to give them the trait for not requiring wood-per-tick to gain back the 2% of acres, to be equal to 7% of acres profit before change.

I suppose it could add an interesting additional way to kill and damage tribes. I'm just not convinced that this is the best way to do it. I don't see how it will make the game better overall to have two consumable resources instead of one...

Technically it would become the 3rd resource, as both Crowns and Food are already required per-tick.

Jolten -

Yea... no offense but it's an unnecessary change that's just going to make the game less newbie friendly. After 10years of playing this game. The last few ages has really made me rethink playing.

Sonix -

I absolutely think this is a terrible idea, no offense Agmar. Unlike food, wood is used for construction (and that is quite expensive at higher sizes or even at medium sizes when you're constantly being targeted and have to rebuild). Having to use something you constantly burn every tick to construct is ridiculous. The cost of constructing more than makes up for not having to give up wood every tick.

One time the biggest tribe in our alliance was targeted and we went through our entire wood supply instantly almost. A lot of us couldn't even rebuild for days.

I see absolutely no purpose for wood/per tick cost. You can still destroy yards and make them waste all there wood till they have none left. On top of that, random events using wood are more than frequent enough already.

Wood and food aren't comparable and shouldn't be treated the same at all.

Edit: FOR ONCE.... i actually agree with Jolten about the unnecessary change.

Jolten -

A well thought out bad plan is just as ineffective as doing nothing.

xiannic -

1) Opening up the road to a new attack type which can snag a large sum of resources the other person has, and use them for personal gain. (Raid is only about crowns, Pillage is based on destruction of buildings)

This can be brought in without burning logs every tick.

2) Can (and shall) be used in traits to balance races further, for instance Spirits not requiring it, Wood Elf gaining double per yard (they live in a forest, duh!)

True, but there are also loads of other ways to balance and change races already, i'm not sure this is the way to do it.

3) Gain another way to potentially kill an enemy tribe; I'd like to see the destruction of Food and Wood have an (bigger) impact on the citizens of a tribe.

Yep, agree with the principle behind this. As Sonix alluded too above, we spent a lot of time and effort hammering an alliance with poor wood supply in order to essentially prevent them from rebuilding, but there was no way of finishing the job. But as you mention in 1) above, new operations could be introduced to enable this, I don't necessarily see an hourly cost to be necessary to achieve this goal.

Sonix -

I do like the idea of the new op tho Agmar. Always open to methods of killing, especially slower ones :). [up] It can set the pace for potentially slowing down kills in general.

Dark Cloud -

Slowing down or prevent. War has casualties get used to it.

Sonix -

Cloud, you misunderstand what i mean. I don't mean to make it harder to kill. I just mean killing requires more time than 1-tick insta-gibs. Slow down the entire killing process but that also means that there should be a potential slow down to recovering from a KT too. Overall, it should be about the same difficulty to kill someone just the process becomes longer on both sides.

A random example of what I mean is decrease damage by a decent amount but at the same time, destroyed buildings can't be constructed on for maybe 2 hours.

Dark Cloud -

I wouldn't want to post any of my strategies, but I don't want a long drawn out kill. Op, make kill, replenish, and repeat.[;)]
Page 1 2