Forums

Age 77 Changes

Open Archived Jamzi opened this discussion on

Jamzi -

It's been a bit of a funny age, a number of us in staff have been less active than normal (same as players by the look of it). Hopefully we can get cracking again next age.

Age 76 ends 1st May at 9ST. Age 77 will start somewhere between 24-72 hrs later. I'll make a new announcement and send an in-game mail once I have a better idea of the timing.

Age 77 changes are interface/background changes rather than any big gameplay changes this time, as below:

1. Add buttons to recast FoR and CB on invasion page:
2. Replace text for magic spells to Cecil’s version (with update from Hardar of “Quanta: “+10% taxes income””)
3. Tweak Tribe stats (http://alliancesatwar.com/bugtracker/read/9267/tribe_stats/ “ )
4. Hardar has made a script to save the rankings periodically, Max was looking if there was a way to auto-announce the personal and alliance rankings each week during the age.
5. Tribes can no longer leave protection mode during a war

Also some stuff that was already fixed that hasn't been announced yet:
* Game FAQ were updated.
* Simplified merge rules that have been tested for a few ages now were coded in so merging can take place within the game throughout the age, according to the rules (no merging last week of age, no merge during war), rather than manually by staff.

[edit - added point 5 and deleted question asking for help with Templars]

Cecil -

its not a matter of temps “outshining” its the fact that their one of the few races that are usefull after being killed, as mentioned in other threads the easiest fix is to prevent restart during war

Jamzi -

OK, nevermind, it seems Max already added the below point so I'll update the post - thanks!

“Tribes can no longer leave protection mode during a war”

Del -

#5 is already live [;)][:p]

Sanzo -

Y NO race changes? [cry]

Bulby -

No race replacements...

Bulby -

Need to rethink the startup of killed tribes via war... Can get get easily ourmuscled when big guys jump all the little guys ..ended up 12-4 in tribe numbers..

Tyr -

No race changes,no change to smaller alliances or start up resources for attackers and only some minor mostly insignificant changes

wasn't expecting too much but this leaves me kinda bored honestly

Dog VI -

Bring the dragon back [heart]

Dog VI -

@Jamzi
How much would you guys sell the server rights for this game?

Jamzi -

There are no race changes because no one had time to develop them to be sufficient to code (having an idea is not the same as developing it practically).

A one-off reboot of the races is planned for next age however we have again not developed it yet, it has been in progress for around 6-9 months and kept hitting a brick wall and starting again. Bolle and Cecil have both said they have ideas they will work with however. If one of them (or anyone else/any of you) comes up trumps with something workable and codeable by 7th May then races will be changed next age for the better.

If not then as a backup there is also a thread of ideas I was coming up with in Game Talk so if all else fails, we'll go with a version of that that I will have to do myself. I posted in Game Talk rather than staff forum in the hope that the result will be better if more people look over it and add/fix stuff.

The start-up in war has been rethought for this coming age Bulby or do you mean it needs to be re-re-thought? If so please be absolutely specific what you suggest and we'll check it and implement if it works, thanks.

Tyr there is no change to smaller alliances you're right, we can still do it but the arguments against it (we would be following the failed example where they did exactly the same in classic and it was widely viewed to have killed that version of Orkfia off for good, too few players want to be elder and there are already not enough elders for the alliances we have to name two major points). I used to want the same as you and before I was staff I like you campaigned quite a bit for this, then I spent more time when in staff researching it more thoroughly though (considering other evidence than my own feelings) and came to a different conclusion. We may still reduce alliance size I am just saying it's not such an obvious an answer as it first looks.

Dog - no charge at all since we don't make any money at all (we only pay money to keep the game going). I don't own or have the server rights, that would be Robokop however i believe the code is opensource so if you want to make your own version, you can just go ahead without any input from me or other staff.

However due to us only being part way through a longer term plan we're working on that hasn't seen fruition yet and also being a team of volunteers, it would probably make more sense if you were to help the existing very small team rather than split off, combining our effort might make a better result.

Entirely up to you though as it's open source, if you made a better version I would love to play that once it's up and running as I prefer to not be staff, I only started doing this role because no one else was doing it and it needed doing so I look forward to playing your better version if you do decide to go that way :)

Tyr -

well the problem there Jamzi is that with only one full 12 man alliance playing they inevitably windup dominating the ranks through sheer numbers anyway which just makes things boring for everyone

i mean at this point every other alli is already playing like there is a 6-8 player cap anyway and as far as elder goes i think too much responsibility falling onto one person is your main problem even with co elder option to help

Dog VI -

Thanks for the super detailed response Jamzi!
[up]

rEdL|nE -

Tyr the problem with 6 people alliance is balancing it.

First of all when you have 2-3 people that are missing, which normally happens at a KT - we both know how hard it is to bring all online - 1/3 or 1/2 of you alliance is missing the KT.

Secondly, getting double the firepower means a lot of people will start complaining when 2 people online kill a tribe in growth mode.

I lived and played through classic's 6 man alliances and it was a total failure

rEdL|nE -

Yet, I agree that the current state of the game is just demotivating

hardar -

Maybe we should try to get back to 20 tribes alliances and witness a super fight between two giant alliances [:D]

rEdL|nE -

uhhh take that away, it hurts my eyes :)))
Page 1