Forums

Immortality (HE)

Open Archived Saxony opened this discussion on

Saxony -

All military units are immortal (when attacking and defending)

What exactly does this mean?

xiannic -

Any losses they would suffer when attacking or defending an attack are reduced to 0.

Saxony -

thank you

Cecil -

unless cancelled out by specific attacks, spells, or thief ops

farnold2 -

Well....that doesn't make them immortal then. . Just saying... :)

Bolle -

lack of crowns makes military leave, lightning bolt kills military, tribes with mortality (e.g. orcs) kill your military. I don't know of any thief ops that negate immortality.

jammed -

maybe ambush? i think it kills military too.

Darkwing -

so to cut out a lot of BS......they are NOT immortal [:D]

jammed -

they're still immortal with conditions. :P

Cecil -

they are immortal unless there are specific effects that negate immortality

Pollito -

Like when a big bad Uruk Hai who has “Mortality” grabs ya

farnold2 -

So they are NOT immortal, they just don't lose troops while attacking

Sonix -

I think of it as they are immortal, but certain things diffuse their immortallity. It's like if you're rich. You are rich because you have the riches, but a federal investigation (assume ur innocent though) or something makes it so you can't use ur money temporarily. You're still rich, just not for that short time.

farnold2 -

im·mor·tal   [ih-mawr-tl] Show IPA
adjective
not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
remembered or celebrated through all time: the immortal words of Lincoln.
not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.
perpetual; lasting; constant: an immortal enemy.
of or pertaining to immortal beings or immortality.
EXPAND

Not sure where it says in the defination of immortal that you can suspend immortality briefly for any reason.

Tiia -

Nor does it say the trait cannot be suspended.

Sonix -

thank you tiia :) I was about to say that too :).

There is no specification that immortality cannot be suspended and thus, it can be changed depending on who is using it. So orkfia is considering immortality as something that can be negated.

farnold2 -

I think lines 3 & 4 pretty says it can't be suspended.

noob -

Yep lets call it semi-immortals or somewhat immortals instead, perhaps quasi-immortals work to.

Sonix -

I disagree. lines 3 and 4 say that something that is immortal can't die or is ever lasting. It doesn't say that the immortality trait itself is everlasting or unsuspendable.

Tiia -

Yep lets call it semi-immortals or somewhat immortals instead, perhaps quasi-immortals work to.

let's not.

While they are immortal, they live forever.
Vampires are immortal, right?
When some stronger altering affect is thrown in the mix - the trait is negated.
Vampires lose their immortality when a stake is pounded through their heart or their waxen flesh is exposed to sunlight. We call those negating effects.

In the case of Orkfian races the negating effects are slightly different is all.

noob -

If a vampire dies from sun or a stake in the heart they are by definition not immortal, just harder to kill. But who really cares [:D]

Tashi -

I disagree. lines 3 and 4 say that something that is immortal can't die or is ever lasting. It doesn't say that the immortality trait itself is everlasting or unsuspendable.

You're not a lawyer yet... stop acting like one [evilgrin].

Cecil -

its being stupid to have somethings name changed just cause it doesnt meet the textbook definition, im assuming that dev and coders wont change it

Bolle -

the dictionary is simply not up to date. They haven't caught up with Orkfia yet.

Sonix -

Bolle. I'll make a thread about this in the development forum but I want to develop a Like! button just for your comment.

Cecil -

lol *presses like button*
Page 1 2