Forums

Age 25 Layout Changes

Closed Archived Martel opened this discussion on

Martel -

[big]Layout Changes[/big]
The 3rd and final part of this age's changes

INTERFACE UPGRADE

I'll let them speak for themselves, but most notably:

1. Introducing a wide default width (960px from 800px)

2. A new kind of navigation: The Searchbox (aka the Jumpbox or Jumpnav)

3. More colors (there is no light gray at the sides anymore)

4. Upgraded menu, with new menus for “The Guide” and “Society” - Forums, Chat, Staff and the Code of Conduct. To easier allow players to get engaged with the Orkfia community (and also to easier ignore it while learning the game).

5. Upgraded Races page. This is mainly a side-note, but you can now view all races in a 3 column view.

So, what are your thoughts so far? I and HaRRy will roll out updates as we get input and critique from you all during age 25.

All changes are uploaded, I hope you will enjoy age 25.

Regards,
Martel

Related announcements:
Age 25 Race Changes
Age 25 Changes

BroodgamerX -

The one thing I really don't like is having to click “Tribe” and “Alliance” when there is also a drop down below it.

I like that you can, I guess but I would still prefer that there be those options in the dropdown as well. Just habit, I guess. I keep selecting “Tribe News” when I want to just go to my tribe screen.

Halcyon -

Cosmetically speaking the font seems too small against the backdrop

Kirby -

“Just habit, I guess. I keep selecting ”Tribe News“ when I want to just go to my tribe screen.”

Same here, we might get used to it though.

Does anyone have any idea why my Resources box look like this on Firefox 3.0.14?
http://img33.imageshack.us/i/orkfia.png/
Looks normal with Chrome and IE

Cecil -

there is no horizontal scrolling with the 800 width option so i cant access or read anything on the right side of each page

Tiia -

there is no horizontal scrolling with the 800 width option so i cant access or read anything on the right side of each page

I found that changing the alignment from centre to right fixed this

WayHigh -

wow i dont like the new layout

Elvis -

I don't either... [:(][:(][:(]

CBeast -

Me neither :( :( :( :(

Kirby -

“Does anyone have any idea why my Resources box look like this on Firefox 3.0.14?

The problem just disappeared for me. So thanks to whoever fixed it.

Saura -

I'm actually enjoying the changes. It seems to run a lot smoother and faster for me now than it did before.

The game looks more streamlined and up to date kind of like the newer Classic look. So far the only problem I've had is the right edge of the alliance screen being a tid bit cut off, but nothing too annoying. So overall I can say I like it.

Kirby -

I would still prefer to have the “Orkfia Mail” and “Alliance Forum” links on the bottom of the page though

Acwder -

A few things Ive noticed spending some time with the new layout.

The new layout has great potential but a few things really needs to be sorted.

1. Tribe resources box is to wide. In the latest ff its around 75% to wide.

2. Searchbox is to wide, way to wide, Id suggest remove atleast 45% of the width.

3. The transition between the upper banner and the menu looks weird, if sticking to the rounded corners on the lower part of the banner Id suggest to rounded to the portal (the main window) aswell, or remove the rounded and add something to more distinct the menu from the rest of the background.

4. Remove the whole iframe feeling, with the scrollbar and the tiny window (in height), if you guys still want the header to always stick up there at top: 0; then you can still have that but Id personally suggest to fix it.

5. The searchbox messes up the input box, I tried to do some searches and the results is quite inconsistent and it added bold and url code, and if I write a { the entire main box starts to shake side to side for about 10-20px.

I'll post more as I find em.

decido -

I would also like the mail and forums links back. I also don't like how the full with is used in alliance page, with all that space why use the last pixel for vital info (i.e. # kills). Posts seems to be cut off and change line, looks strange..

Btw since when do orkfians eat gears..?

TooHigh -

“Orkfia Mail” and “Alliance Forum” links on the bottom of the page

we need this back asap

Simo -

I would still prefer to have the “Orkfia Mail” and “Alliance Forum” links on the bottom of the page though

Vlaeghe -

When you look at your own alliance, everything looks very crammed within the screen. Like the kills are barely within the frame.
And no, it's not my computer... I've got a wide flatscreen... Size differences shouldn't matter.

HaRRy -

Today I will be working on doing layout and JavaScript fixes.
Please doublepost the least as possible to make me work more and read less.

btw, I was the one making the searchbox. Type Help and click on Searchbox Help to find more commands besides just simple searching.

The one thing I really don't like is having to click “Tribe” and “Alliance” when there is also a drop down below it.

I got used to it after Martel changed it. So it's just habbit indeed.

Cosmetically speaking the font seems too small against the backdrop

You might be right, I'll see if increasing the fontsize with 1 makes sense.

Does anyone have any idea why my Resources box look like this on Firefox 3.0.14?
Looks normal with Chrome and IE

Probably something with cache. The most important stuff should be working without cash refresh.

I forgot people could choose the 800px layout and while playing with the tables I made it a width only working for 960px. Fix is already made and should be uploaded somewhere today.

wow i dont like the new layout
I don't either...
Me neither :( :( :( :(
Very constructive.
I've already promised Martel to spend today fixing layout problems. Mostly because I finally tested IE yesterday evening and noticed about 100 things not as pretty as in the browser I usually use. I can't fix everything but I'll sure try to make it at least lookable in IE8.

I'm actually enjoying the changes. It seems to run a lot smoother and faster for me now than it did before.

The game looks more streamlined and up to date kind of like the newer Classic look. So far the only problem I've had is the right edge of the alliance screen being a tid bit cut off, but nothing too annoying. So overall I can say I like it.
[:D] That right side problem will somehow be fixed soon.

I sort of can imagin people do.

1. Tribe resources box is to wide. In the latest ff its around 75% to wide.
But what if you have 1328984329734873424743 goods eh? [;)]
But ok I might see if changing that looks nice.

2. Searchbox is to wide, way to wide, Id suggest remove atleast 45% of the width.
I totally agree it looks too wide but it's useful to have it a bit wide.

3. The transition between the upper banner and the menu looks weird, if sticking to the rounded corners on the lower part of the banner Id suggest to rounded to the portal (the main window) aswell, or remove the rounded and add something to more distinct the menu from the rest of the background.

The whole layout changes were Martel's doing and I will leave this comment up to him.

4. Remove the whole iframe feeling, with the scrollbar and the tiny window (in height), if you guys still want the header to always stick up there at top: 0; then you can still have that but Id personally suggest to fix it.
I actually still agree, actually ever since I started playing Orkfia several years ago. But it's not as bad as some other things imo.

5. The searchbox messes up the input box, I tried to do some searches and the results is quite inconsistent and it added bold and url code, and if I write a { the entire main box starts to shake side to side for about 10-20px.

Interesting :s feels very solid for me. Please tell me more when you see me on IRC.

I also don't like how the full with is used in alliance page, with all that space why use the last pixel for vital info (i.e. # kills). Posts seems to be cut off and change line, looks strange..

Yeah that isn't supposed to happen, but happens somehow [:(]

Btw since when do orkfians eat gears..?
Didn't you know Orkfians are secretly just robots?
If you know any good icons for wood and food please mail them to me [grin]

Here a screenshot of how it's supposed to look like.
http://geuze.name/orkfia/nephie.png

Corian -

Vlaeghe -

hm, I'm not seeing the lighter grey when you're quoting stuff, lol...
nor am I seeing any smileys?

maybe I need to get rid of my cookies :/

Nephy -

to many bugs!!

Nepherius -

If i have research to invest i get a (1) next to alliance and also next to Actions

Vlaeghe -

it's stupid, but this site is showing much better on Chrome, than on IE.

Vlaeghe -

ooo, it's starting to look better now...

but for some reason I'm still not seeing the smileys and stuff on my IE, while I do see it on Chrome.

Darkwing -

I like it.
Page 1