Forums

Age 50 changes

Closed Archived Bolle opened this discussion on

Bolle -

Dear players,

Today is a memorable day as we are moving into the 50th age of Alliances At War. Staff wanted to thoroughly celebrate this by presenting you all with a new and improved war system. Unfortunately, the coding is not yet finished. Still, you can look forward to an implementation, hopefully during age 50!

Race changes

Dark Elf:

Remove trait: each guild produces 1/3 rp

Spirit:

Poltergeist 2/7 750 cr -> 2/7 775 cr

Dragon:

Remove trait: 25% damage reduction on all building-damaging forces

Black Dragon 10/40 950 cr -> 10/35 800 cr

Dragon will receive monetary compensation: no_of_defspecs*118.75 crowns. This money will be stashed in their market and the credits for this money added to their account.

Uruk Hai:

Change trait: Loses 25% more military in combat --> Loses 25% more military in combat, but kills x2 military.
Add trait: 3 hour attack time.

Rept Hai:

Basilisk 0/7 750 cr -> 0/7 700 cr

Venom Attack cannot be healed anymore. Venom Attack lasts 2-4 ticks rather than 1-4 ticks.

Oleg Hai:

Gnome 40 cr --> 50 cr
Wolfrider 7/0 650 cr --> 8/0 750 cr

Starting military has been updated for Rept Hai, Dragon and Owl.

T/M changes

Removed: a tenth of the normal damage based on building type is used as minimum damage based on the absolute total land of the defender. Instead, minimum damage is 1.

Poison Water had a very curious minimum damage arrangement. You will notice that with the changes in minimum damage dealt, Poison Water will deal considerably less damage on targets that are already very low on farms. Especially if you did not send enough thieves.

Removed: set mana cost for some spells up to 3500 acres. Example: Dragon Mage used to cost over 40 mana. Race spells were also expensive.

All spells now require mp = size/1000*cost. Cost is a set number: for Dragon Mage, it's 8. Overall, this change is merely a simplification of the spells system, without much impact. Apart from early access to late-game spells of course.

Sneak Peek

Dev has been working hard on a redesign of the war system. We are happy to announce that this project was quite succesful. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to code and test the new system in time for the age 50 changes. Here's some features of the new system:

Global features

– A new ranking based on the performance of your alliance in war.
– Removal of many artificial barriers like size penalties.
– The implementation of a global damage modifier effectively halving damage outside wars.
– The possibility of being at war with multiple alliances at the same time.

War

– The game will keep track of offensive activities directed against other alliances. Eventually, this will lead to an automatically declared war.
– Generally, war will occur quite often; if this is not the case, we will tweak the new system so that it will be the case.
– Alliances cannot truce anymore. Either you win or you lose. Although there is still a maximum war duration, the alliance that has come closest to winning the war is declared victorious.
– No option to surrender until the war has gone on for 24 hours.

Staff wishes you a great age!

Taub -

another t/m action completely nerfed to obsolescence, it is becoming a long list!

great job!

RIP PW

Bolle -

In fact, the only thing that happened to PW is that you can no longer deal maximum damage by sending 500 thieves per PW at a 50k acre tribe. PW damage hasn't changed at all for anyone who read the guide obligingly and always sent 1 thief per 3 acres.

I did say it rather weirdly so I've changed it a little. Factual change:

PW used to destroy size*0.2% farms. This meant that 5 PWs always destroyed 1% of your land if it had farms built on those acres. What we've done is change it so that it now, like all other ops, destroys the buildings based on the number of buildings of that type you own, rather than on your size. So you now lose farms based on the amount of farms you have, so farms*0.02 farms destroyed, minimum damage 1.

Taub -

then all ops are flawed

they all have wrong amounts in their description

“Send your thieves to burn down the homes of your enemy's population. Sending less thieves than your enemy has acres will result in fewer buildings destroyed.”

Arson 0.7 * acres

“Start a few fires and watch on as your enemies' yards are consumed by the flames! Sending less thieves than your enemy has acres will result in fewer buildings destroyed.”

Wildfire = 0.7 * acres

“Your thieves will dig tunnels in under the academies of your enemy and destroy the foundations, thus destroying the buildings. Sending less thieves than your enemy has 2x acres will result in fewer buildings destroyed.”

Tunneling = 1.4 * acres

“Your thieves will attempt to make the job easier for your mage by burning the churches of your enemies. This can be a very effective operation to take out large, well defended opponents. Sending less thieves than your enemy has acres will result in fewer buildings destroyed.”

Thieves rebellion = 0.7 * acres

“Your thieves will plant some explosives inside an enemy's mines and watch the gold scatter all over the place as they blow up. Sending less thieves than your enemy has acres will result in fewer buildings destroyed.”

Engineerd explosives = 0.7 * acres

The stuff above proves your guide argument is a complete fallacy. Lot of stuff wrong in the guide.

I deem this change a prove of utter lack of vision.

Bolle -

You've shown the thieves required per op. Not how the damage is calculated.

Taub -

“Removed: a tenth of the normal damage based on building type is used as minimum damage based on the absolute total land of the defender. Instead, minimum damage is 1.”

Could you clarify this? Has the minimum damage of 1 been removed?

Chiu -

great revision on war system.

Taub -

i checked, you removed the minimum damage of 0.001 on all t/m ops

ARE YOU GUYS BLOODY INSANE? You could have just as well removed t/m from the game in its entirety and make it a explore+grab game! Its made completely obsolete now

Bolle -

http://alliancesatwar.com/forums/news/231785/age-28-changes/

- a tenth of the normal damage based on building type is used as minimum damage based on the absolute total land of the defender.(this is minimum even after other damage reduction variables) And the absolute minimum being 1 of the targeted building type.
* Meaning: Arson normally does 1% damage on total amount of homes. This means the minimum damage is 0.1% on total land. When you calculate it you will find that below 10% homes the minimum starts working.
* Since the minimum is found after guard houses, the guard houses will have no effect on the damage done once the minimum is reached.

Most ops are based on total amount of the targeted building type (like arson is based on homes). PW was based on size rather than farms, hence the problems. Moreover, this change set a new minimum damage rule on top of the still existing 'minimim 1 building destroyed'. In other words, removing it is a simplification.

The trait is removed also because it applied if you did not send enough thieves. So sending 1 thief would allow you to destroy a home already. This is not the case with the minimum 1 building destroyed as in this case, the 'thieves sent requirement' still applies. You can destroy 0 homes if you don't send enough thieves.

Taub -

Afaik it works like this:

2 formula's, the highest is the result

x% * buildings and y%* land

now it has become

x% * farms and 1

for all ops

Bolle -

Nope, it was:

x% * buildings and (x%*buildings)/10 minimum

It is:

x% * buildings and 1 minimum

Max also supplied me with the logical information that size*0.2% means that you deal the 'minimum' damage if a tribe runs “only” 10% farms.

You could argue PW no longer destroys enough farms; it certainly doesn't destroy as much as it used to. We've merely fixed its special, weird position in damage calculation. If it turns out damage is too low it can easily be changed to destroy 4% of the target's farms per op.

Taub -

it was already weak, starving doesnt kill within 20 hours

now its just useless, RIP PW

and the genius that came up with :
“x% * buildings and (x%*buildings)/10 minimum

It is:

x% * buildings and 1 minimum”

must feel very sorry very soon, cause this game has been ruined!

RIP T/M ops, RIP KILLS, RIP GAME

and the funny thing is, that in itself would have nerfed PW already to uselessness
now its double nerfed

Sanzo -

Also more personal stats will be added :)

Bolle -

You're dramatizing rather much Taub. As far as I'm concerned, if ops/spells don't deal enough damage why not use the suggestions menu to suggest they do more damage?

At the moment, Wildfire and Engineered Explosives destroy less than 1% of the number of that type of buildings you run. That sounds like rather weak operations to me. PW deals more than three times as much damage, and actually requires about half the amount of thieves to be sent.

On a more general note, removing that trait is part of a larger project of simplifying the code, so that we actually know how our changes work out. What's more, a logically simple code is simpler to recode in a more modern way - quite useful as the current code is almost 15 years old now.

Taub -

Bolle, i did put down suggestions to improve t/m playability

and im not dramatizing, you effectively nerfed away t/m ops

someone also said PW was too strong, now it has been changed

still waiting for my suggestions concerning t/m ops to be implemented

Taub -

btw Bolle, there is some flaw in your explanation:

“Nope, it was:

x% * buildings and (x%*buildings)/10 minimum”

x% * buildings is never smaller than (x% * buildings)/10 so im quite sure that its wrong

Bolle -

That's correct, it should be 0.1x%*land minimum.

and im not dramatizing, you effectively nerfed away t/m ops

Merely the minimum homes destroyed of land*0.01. At 5000, this was minimum 5 homes destroyed. You can now go down to 1 home destroyed. You reach 5 homes if a 5000 acre tribe has 500 homes left, or 10%.

In practice, this means the tribe is usually dead before you feel the effect of the missing 1/10th rule.

One race for which this doesn't count as much is Balrogs, as they run only 15% homes. We'll have to see how much this affects how hard they are to kill.

Sanzo -

One race for which this doesn't count as much is Balrogs

Dwarf too :o

Bolle -

A rainbow build on dwarves ought to work pretty well yeah... 10% per building type might help. However, Pillage has been proven to work quite well on people using this strategy.

HaRRy -

Quote: bolle
0.1x%*land minimum

I initially programmed that part, it wasn't there before so now it's pretty much like it was in the old days.
The minimum damage kicking in on 10% is an obvious flaw that wasn't supposed to be there.
I'm actually sure that most ops had/have different (lower) percentages for the minimum to kick in.

CherryCola -

“– Removal of many artificial barriers like size penalties.”

Is this for ops, or land grabs?

Taub -

Yeah well, a lot of stuff was different, hardly an argument to change everything back right?

what i dont get is why these rule changes favor the growers, not the fighters, and that while i hear constant claims of turning this into a wargame

No more destroying of weaps, walls, labs, gh, etc to 0.
Horrible idea

marco -

me love u taub :)[heart][up]

Plato -

have they made it harder for t/ms to kill? if so I agree with you taub

Bolle -

The removed minimum rule only began kicking in on targets with less than 10% of the building type (say homes).

PW is a special case.

If it's made killing harder than, apart from PW, we'll raise the damage to compensate for it. The only reason for getting rid of it is that it's a very complicating rule.

Plato -

So Balrog would then be almost unkillable?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6